The first step to any book idea is to write a fantastic query letter. At this two-part workshop, we learned to shape and share query letters and recieved expert feedback from some of the top literary agents in publishing.
PART 1: A QUERY LETTER WRITING WORKSHOP
We learned how to write an effective query letter for your book with guidance from Samantha Wekstein.
PART 2: A QUERY LETTER FEEDBACK SESSION WITH TOP LITERARY AGENTS
Our participants had the opportunity to get feedback on their query letters from top literary agents hailing from Writers House, Sterling Lord Literistic, Thompson Literary Agency, and HG Literary.
Attendee Testimonials & Survey Stats
“Mentee For the Day” Attendees
Mentees for the day are those who received feedback on their query letters. This group included older writers and authors in the Girls Write Now community.
100% of mentee respondents said:
- I would recommend Girls Write Now workshops to a friend
- I benefited from attending this workshop
Mentees Before & After
- Knowing the components of a query letter: 220% increase
- Knowing how an agent uses a query letter: 114.3% increase
- Having a Query letter drafted: 275% increase
- Receiving feedback on my Query Letter from a literary agent: 533.3% increase
- Learning how to improve my Query Letter: 533.3% increase
- Opportunity to ask an agent questions related to publishing: 216.7% increase
- Learning what literary agents are looking for: 216.7% increase
Mentee for the Day Testimonials
I was only here to share my query letter, but my favorite part was being able to ask questions about querying. As I have friends with untraditional paths to publishing, this is maybe the first time I’ve been able to speak to an agent at length.
I loved being able to talk to an agent! My group’s agent was so nice, kind, and positive!
Breakout room feedback from Agents. SO HELPFUL and amazing–priceless. Thank you so so so much!
I loved both the breakdown of the query letter and the feedback section with the agents. The agent I was put in a breakout room with (Jessica Friedman) was incredibly open and very helpful in answering questions and giving advice.
“Mentor For the Day” Attendees
Agents from top literary agents acted as Mentors for the day providing feedback on query letters for writers in the Girls Write Now community.
More than 85% of Agents said:
- This workshop was enjoyable
- This workshop was worth my time
- I would recommend Girls Write Now workshops to a friend or colleague
- I would attend another Girls Write Now Writing Works event
- My experience was a gratifying way to engage with emerging writers from diverse backgrounds
- I felt I was adequately prepared
- I had the opportunity to contribute my skills and expertise
- Participants met the goals of this workshop
Literary Agent Testimonials
I loved getting to talk to the authors in a smaller setting and answer their questions.
The participants! They were amazing and had the best stories and letters to share. I feel so buoyed and hopeful by their creativity and encouragement of each other. Honestly, the hardest part was giving feedback on their letters since they were all so strong.
Having the time and space to go into detail about not only the query letters, but about publishing and querying agents more broadly, and (hopefully!) give helpful advice about the various stages and parts of a career in writing.
It was a lot of fun to speak with two writers who had created query letters, to talk through their letters and experiences, and to talk about Publishing in general.