Forbes and Girls Write Now met for an intergenerational exchange through the act of letter writing!
Young writers, “Mentees For The Day,” and Forbes employees, “Mentors For The Day,” were be led by a Girls Write Now facilitator through a series of prompts to write letters and help each other through this unusual and anxiety-producing time.
Mentees had the unique opportunity to share their experiences, write alongside media professionals, and learn how Forbes employees are adapting to the unexpected. Mentors learned about the concerns of diverse NYC youth during the time of COVID-19 and a growing movement for racial justice. Participants shared their writing in the group chat or aloud, signed or anonymously.
Attendee Testimonials & Survey Stats
“Mentee For the Day” Attendees
Mentees for the day are young writers who joined the workshop to hear from and write with Forbes media professionals.
100% of mentee respondents said:
- I would attend another Girls Write Now Writing Works event
- I enjoyed writing alongside Forbes employees– “Mentors for the Day”
Mentees Before & After
- Having contributed to a media professional’s understanding of what is important to youth: 233% increase
- Having written a letter of inspiration: 175% increase
- Gained industry exposure by learning how media professionals handle challenges: 350% increase
My favorite part of the workshop was to take the time to reflect on our emotions and the moment of silence to those who lost their lives to police brutality.
My favorite part of the workshop was getting to hear the responses from the other mentees and mentors in the workshop and to get to know how they are doing in these unprecedented times. I also really enjoyed the letter writing process and being able to share my thoughts and experiences.
I’m excited to get my letter!!
I liked the check-ins where we were able to share our thoughts on how we were feeling, who we looked up to, etc. It was very comforting.
Forbes employees acted as “Mentors for the Day”, writing letters to young writers from their unique professional experience.
100% of Forbes Employees said:
- This workshop was enjoyable
- This workshop was worth my time
- This workshop was a good way to take a break from everyday life and de-stress a bit
- I would recommend workshops like this to a friend and/or colleague
- I would like Forbes to do another workshop with Girls Write Now
Forbes Employees Before & After
- Having shared their experiences with overcoming challenges: 133.3% increase
- Having written a letter of inspiration: 166.7% increase
Forbes Employee Testimonials
The chatbox was very easy to share ideas and I’m glad that people were so honest.
Seeing my colleagues get involved with GWN! I’m a mentor with GWN already, so it’s very gratifying to get them involved and see Forbes live out some of its commitments. I also love that we were able to be vulnerable with each other and think that the exchanging letters piece of it will be the most inspiring part, so thank you!
Sharing how we *really* feel at the beginning of the workshop and hearing real, honest answers!