Girls Write Now was honored to partner with HBO in celebration of Women’s History Month. Together we developed a writing workshop that took place on March 22nd in The Inspiration Room—a pop-up exhibit on Lafayette Street meant to showcase “the power of authentic, unedited voices.”
It was a full house, and the energy in The Inspiration Room was palpable. No one wanted the conversation about writing, life, inspiration, and the creative process to come to an end.
We are grateful to forward-thinking organizations like HBO—one of our Agents of Change—for valuing young, marginalized voices. Together we are making a difference, one girl at a time.
PRESS & MEDIA
WORKSHOP: “Making Magic out of the Ordinary”
The Girls Write Now + HBO writing workshop featured:
- HBO writers
- Amy Aniobi, Insecure, 2 Dope Queens, Silicon Valley
- Lila Byock, Watchmen, The Leftovers
- Carly Wray, Watchmen, The Leftovers, Westworld
- Performances by mentee alumnae Danni Green and Tiffani Ren
- 40+ Girls Write Now mentees in the audience
Girls Write Now crafted the workshop’s curriculum to include engaging prompts that allowed all attendees to find inspiration in the everyday, and the panel discussion ended with a dynamic Q&A session.
- “Everything is story.” —Amy Aniobi, HBO writer
- “Turn the clock off.” —Carly Wray, HBO writer, on recognizing that there is not just one path to success
- “The pulse, the heartbeat of Girls Write Now, connects all of us still.”—Tiffani Ren, mentee alum
Magic happens when we team up with an industry that has the power to give the next generation of women writers a voice. We are grateful to HBO for partnering with us to create a space for our young writers.
If you are interested in working with Girls Write Now, please contact us.