Underserved young women do not have adequate support and opportunities on the pathway to college and career. Meanwhile, companies are severely lacking in class and race diversity—as well as skilled writers.
“Writing Works” is a workforce development program that creates a win-win for emerging women writers, and the schools and companies in need of their talent.
At Girls Write Now, Writing Works means growing a writing and technology pipeline by mentoring young women to be creative thinkers, clear communicators, and competitive candidates for the trails they choose to blaze. Writing Works is based on the principle that writing is crucial across all industries from publishing and advertising to entertainment, finance, and beyond.
- Roughly half of the more than 2 million students who enter college each year will leave with a diploma.
- Less than 30% will complete their degree in four years.
- These factors disproportionately affect youth from underserved backgrounds.
- Diverse candidates who do manage to enter the workforce often find closed doors to a range of industries.
- According to employers, a quarter of college graduate hires not only have deficient writing skills, but lack proper communication skills across the board.
- Blue-chip businesses are spending as much as $3 billion on remedial writing training for their employees—annually.
The Writing Works Approach
Writing Works offers unique professional development at all levels from exposure in high school, to internships for college student and recent graduates, to entry and associate level employee placements. At Writing Works, we teach girls to take creative risks when telling their original stories in order to capture the attention of admissions officers and job recruiters, and rise to the top of the pile. Services are light touch, high impact, and modular, engaging “mentors for the day”, including:
- College & Career Skill-building: Workshops on resumes, cover letters, interviews, personal branding, and more
- Industry Exposure: High profile speakers, behind-the-scenes access at corporations, shows, and other special events
- Employment Opportunities: Resource sharing, bylines, internship and job placements
Recent Corporate Partnerships
Talent Acquisition, Employee Engagement, Diversity Inclusion, Publicity and more
- FORBES + GIRLS WRITE NOW PARTNERSHIP
- CAREER DAY IN PARTNERSHIP WITH N-YHS, A STARS CITYWIDE GIRLS INITIATIVE
- RBC + GIRLS WRITE NOW PARTNERSHIP: WRITING WORKS
- GIRLS WRITE NOW + HBO TEAM UP: INSIDE THE INSPIRATION ROOM
- HOUGHTON MIFFLIN HARCOURT AND GIRLS WRITE NOW PARTNER TO BRING NEW TALENT, VOICES TO BOOKS & MEDIA INDUSTRIES
- THE PUBLISHING INDUSTRY GATHERS TO KICK OFF “AGENTS OF CHANGE,” A GIRLS WRITE NOW INITIATIVE
There is a demand for stellar communication and writing and, through Writing Works, Girls Write Now is meeting it. Girls Write Now’s bright, diverse mentees are poised to become the next generation of creators, authors, producers, publishers, and talent.