This year, we redesigned our annual awards ceremony to meet the moment with the Girls (Re)Write Now Awards: A Night of Revolutionary Mini–Master Classes! On October 16, 2020, nearly 2,000 people joined us to amplify diverse voices and support the next generation of writers! With school, politics, protests and anything in between, our young writers are standing tall at the intersection of all these battles, and quite often they’re telling us the way to overcome them—if only we would listen. This show celebrates their resilient spirit and offers the hope we all need heading into the fall.
Every single dollar we raise surrounding this event will directly support Girls Write Now’s initiatives to ensure young women and gender nonconforming youth have access to our cutting-edge virtual programming for free. At Girls Write Now, mentees build the networks and life-long relationships to open doors and excel in high school, college and career. You can change the trajectory of a young writer’s life.
Our 2020 Agent of Change honorees—writers, authors and artists who do the incredible and necessary work of amplifying diverse voices—are Thembi Banks, Cazzie David in conversation with Kate Napolitano, Dominique Fishback, Rupi Kaur, Jenifer Lewis, Laurie Liss presented by Hannah Gadsby, Lauren Ashley Smith and Cleo Wade. In place of traditional acceptance speeches, they are offering you the most important lessons they’ve learned so far in their journeys. You will also hear from Girls Write Now mentees and alumnae Amina Castronovo, Caitlin Levy, Jade Lozada, Jayola Reid and Carmin Wong on the lessons that would be taught in school if they were in charge. And at Girls Write Now, our mentees are in charge.
Events like this are possible thanks to generous donors who power Girls Write Now. Please consider a gift to strengthen the next generation of writers and leaders the world needs.
Enjoy all of the mini-master classes!
Let’s redraft, retell, rethink and reimagine a way forward with valuable master classes and stories from today’s changemakers! From critical thinking to climate urgency to embracing the journey, these lessons will last a lifetime.
- Nurturing the Dream Beneath the Story with Honoree Jenifer Lewis
- Storytelling for Climate Justice with Mentees Amina Castronovo, Jade Lozada & Jayola Reid
- Writing & Living from Your Heart with Honoree Dominique Fishback
- Thinking Critically & Questioning Authority with Honoree Laurie Liss, presented by Hannah Gadsby
- The Ritual of Checking In with Ourselves with Honoree Rupi Kaur
- Keeping Your Eyes on Your Own Paper with Honoree Lauren Ashley Smith
- Radical Self-Care with Mentee Caitlin Levy
- Self-Care & Self-Maintenance with Honoree Cleo Wade
- Embracing the Journey with Honoree Thembi Banks
- Taking Your Power Back from Anxiety & Insecurity with Honoree Cazzie David, in conversation with Kate Napolitano
- The Essential Work of Writing with Purpose with Mentee Alum Carmin Wong
Thank you to our generous Agent of Change Corporate Partners and Girls Write Now Circle, our dedicated Board of Directors and staff, our talented mentors and mentees—and to all who join us in supporting the next generation of writers and leaders!
During a crisis, Girls Write Now’s programs are especially relevant and in demand. We offer the safe space, inspired curriculum and welcoming community that, now more than ever, are essential to youth development. You can provide essential backing for the work we are doing right now, serving the hardest-hit communities: underserved girls and gender nonconforming youth of color. They carry enormous burdens and even bigger potential. At Girls Write Now, mentees build the confidence, networks and life-long relationships to open doors and excel in high school, college and career. You can change the trajectory of a young writer’s life.