With a focus on Girls Write Now’s programmatic activities and initiatives, the Diversity Committee shall:
- Identify where and when we effectively foster racial justice and confront injustice—and where do we need to do better.
- Advise on how racial justice can be constantly built into and expressed in the Girls Write Now program, from the mentoring experience to curriculum/workshops, performance, publication, college, career, social engagement and more.
- Help facilitate and inspire discussion on racial justice issues throughout our programs and activities.
- Give input on and inform workshops and trainings on racial justice and race sensitivity.
- Partner with Girls Write Now staff, mentors and mentees to diversify the makeup of our community, meeting agreed upon benchmarks over time.
- Share and amplify the stories of our diverse community that can enlarge our understanding of ourselves, each other, and the world around us.
Membership & Structure
- The Diversity Committee is composed of select active and alumnae Girls Write Now mentors and mentees.
- The number of Diversity Committee members will be commensurate with staff capacity.
- The Diversity Committee as a body is managed by a Girls Write Now staffer who will recruit, onboard, and offboard Committee members, and plan and facilitate quarterly meetings.
- Each member of the Diversity Committee will be paired with a Girls Write Now staffer based on their area of focus. The purpose of this pairing is to partner together to apply a diversity lens to all programmatic activities and initiatives—ensuring they have integrity and opportunity from a racial justice perspective in order to provide the most equitable, supportive and gratifying experience for all members of the community.
- Each Committee/Staff pair will determine the rhythm and style of their work together to maximize efficiency and effectiveness.
- Areas of focus may include: Enrollment, Curriculum, Print & Multimedia Publications, Website & Social Media, Performances, Special Events/Fundraising, Wellness, College & Career, Organizational Strategic Planning, and more.
- The Committee will meet quarterly as a group to set goals and milestones, report out on successes and challenges, share best practices, and discuss key issues.
Member Roles & Responsibilities
- Eligibility: A Girls Write Now Active or Alumnae Mentor or Board Member (eventually this body may be open to active/alumnae mentees and other members of the community)
- Time/Availability: Able to meet quarterly as a group and maintain regular communication with your staff contact
- Training/Orientation: Willing to participate in diversity training as it is applicable to the betterment of the committee
- Next Step: Stay tuned for application form!
- Dec-Jan: Individual calls with Diversity Committee members
- Jan date TBD: Next Diversity Committee meeting
- Jan 23, 2021: Diversity Committee members present and recruit at Mentor Midyear Training
- Jan 29, 2021: Mahogany L. Browne Friday Night Salon launches GWN’s Black History Month initiatives
- Feb, 2021: Diversity Committee may give input/advice on on a series of diversity trainings being planned for key community stakeholders: Mentors, Mentees, Staff, and Board
- Jan-June 2021: Diversity Committee members individually interviewed and paired with relevant staff to support and give input on spring initiatives
- June 2021: Diversity Committee meets as a group to report out and set goals
- Summer 2021: Diversity Committee helps assess 2020-21 program year and advises staff on strategic changes to programs for 2021-22
- Fall 2021: Diversity Committee meets to formalize the next stage of Committee; align on fall plans; support launch of year training/orientation activities; and get paired with relevant staff for the year
- Jan 2022: Diversity Committee meets as a group to report out and set goals
- Cycle continues with Committee members + staff points working on their respective areas and quarterly group meetings