With a focus on Girls Write Now’s programmatic activities and initiatives, the Diversity Committee shall:
- Identify where and when we effectively foster racial justice and confront injustice—and where do we need to do better.
- Advise on how racial justice can be constantly built into and expressed in the Girls Write Now program, from the mentoring experience to curriculum/workshops, performance, publication, college, career, social engagement and more.
- Help facilitate and inspire discussion on racial justice issues throughout our programs and activities.
- Give input on and inform workshops and trainings on racial justice and race sensitivity.
- Partner with Girls Write Now staff, mentors and mentees to diversify the makeup of our community, meeting agreed upon benchmarks over time.
- Share and amplify the stories of our diverse community that can enlarge our understanding of ourselves, each other, and the world around us.
Membership & Structure
- The Diversity Committee is composed of select active and alumnae Girls Write Now mentors and mentees.
- The number of Diversity Committee members will be commensurate with staff capacity. The Diversity Committee will have 12 members in spring 2021.
- The Diversity Committee as a body is managed by a Girls Write Now staffer who will recruit, onboard, and offboard Committee members, and plan and facilitate quarterly meetings.
- The Diversity Committee will work closely with Girls Write Now staffers in teams to apply a diversity lens to all programmatic activities and initiatives—ensuring they have integrity and opportunity from a racial justice perspective in order to provide the most equitable, supportive and gratifying experience for all members of the community.
- Each team will work with staff to determine the rhythm and style of their work together to maximize efficiency and effectiveness.
- Areas of focus may include: Enrollment, Curriculum, Print & Multimedia Publications, Website & Social Media, Performances, Special Events/Fundraising, Wellness, College & Career, Organizational Strategic Planning, and more.
- The Committee will meet quarterly as a group to set goals and milestones, report out on successes and challenges, share best practices, and discuss key issues.
Member Roles & Responsibilities
- Eligibility: A Girls Write Now Active Mentor, Alumnae, or Board Member (eventually this body may be open to active mentees and other members of the community)
- Time/Availability: Able to meet quarterly as a group and maintain regular communication with your staff contact
- Training/Orientation: Willing to participate in diversity training as it is applicable to the betterment of the committee
- Dec 2020-Jan 2021: Individual calls with Diversity Committee members
- Jan 21, 2021: Diversity Committee meeting with 2020 members
- Jan 23, 2021: Diversity Committee members present and recruit at Mentor Midyear Training
- Jan 29, 2021: Mahogany L. Browne Friday Night Salon launches GWN’s Black History Month initiatives
- Feb, 2021: Diversity Committee give input/advice on a series of diversity trainings being planned for key community stakeholders: Mentors, Mentees, Staff, Alum, and Board
- Feb, 2021-Mar, 2021: A series of curated programming and content focused on amplifying Black history, culture, and celebration continuing on into Women’s History Month
- April 2021: Diversity Committee meets with expanded body of 12 members
- April-Sept 2021: Diversity Committee members work in teams to offer insight and feedback on our mentor/mentee enrollment practices at all stages from outreach to onboarding (Stage I: Marketing & Recruitment: Assets, Networks & Outreach; Stage II: Applicant Review, Interviews & Assessment; Stage III: Onboarding, Training/Orientation, Matching & Podding). Our goal is to limit barriers candidates may face in accessing our programs, and to help us devise new strategies to attract and retain mentors and mentees of color. This enrollment work done through a racial equity and anti-bias lens will have a significant impact on the entire program year.
- June 2021: Diversity Committee meets as a group to report out and set goals
- Summer 2021: Diversity Committee helps assess 2020-21 program year and advises staff on strategic changes to programs for 2021-22
- Fall 2021: Diversity Committee meets to formalize the next stage of Committee; align on fall plans
- Jan 2022: Diversity Committee meets as a group to report out and set goals
- Cycle continues with Committee members + staff working on their respective areas of focus and quarterly group meetings