As Girls Write Now launches a new publishing platform, we seek to partner pro bono with an agency to develop a new brand strategy, including:
- Brand Messaging: Helping us determine what to call the new publishing platform, the pros and cons of differentiating Girls Write Now the publication from the organization from a user perspective, teasing out a tagline, and other language
- Design: Leading a design exploration for a refreshed visual identity to inform the new site, the organizational identity, and the packaging and promotion of mentee work—including typography, colors, design elements and language, and potentially a logo for the publication(s)
- Development: Consulting on a long-term plan for the website’s success as a publishing platform—driven by our funded programming (and not dependent on ad revenue). Note we currently work with a WordPress developer so web development not needed.
Over the past two decades, Girls Write Now has earned the reputation of a nationally award-winning leader in arts education as the first writing and mentoring organization for girls and gender expansive youth. Writing today means multi-genre, multimedia, multi-platform communication—everything from storytelling to coding. Girls Write Now provides services and training in all forms of writing for every stage of life, from high school, to college, career and beyond, as our mentees are define the digital age. In tandem with our programming, Girls Write Now has created a cohesive and powerful brand, a committed following—both grassroots and global—and a vast collection of original multi-genre writing and multimedia artwork from writers of all ages. As an organization, Girls Write Now has helped break down the barriers of race and poverty to elevate the voices of youth who are too often not heard—or worse, silenced. It is now time for their art to drive the organization’s online presence, with a new generation of creative leaders at the helm. When our young writers share their stories, they have the power to change minds, heal communities, and impact the world.
Announcing the development of a new multi-genre, multimedia publishing platform and media brand, fusing programming and publication, or process and product, to:
- Feature the work of emerging young artists front and center, fueled by a sophisticated database that will draw in the user in specific and unexpected ways while breaking down the artificial barrier between print and digital, creative and critical, and all of the other labels we rely on
- Engage the user in the experience of creating art through live workshops, salons, and events, as well as access to the raw curriculum
- Showcase the relationships (both mentor pairs and the larger community) behind the art, dispelling the myth of writing as a solitary act
- Be fully integrated with the curriculum—youth learn not just the skills of writing and art-making but the adjacent skills necessary to get work out into the world—editing, design, curation, marketing, branding, and more. As a result, the Girls Write Now platform will be a thoroughly youth-driven site inside and out. The girls’ portfolios will be integrated seamlessly into site architecture, showcasing mentees’ own individual stories and collectively representing the story of their generation
- Directly demonstrate the connection between art and industry by not only building and utilizing marketable skills but by facilitating networking with the companies that hire for these skills. The site becomes a hub and marketplace for artists and industries to meet, a direct pipeline to diversify companies in need of new talent and points of view
This is a highly customizable project that can be structured and scoped in terms of content and timeline to be meaningful to the agency while also working within their capacity. Our upcoming benchmarks are: June 2021 (when we will feature the work of this program year’s writers) and September 2021 (when the new program year begins).
For more information, and to explore partnership, please contact us here.