Deadline is Monday, June 8
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis
Early applications strongly encouraged
Writing Works is Girls Write Now’s college and career readiness program matching young women and gender non-conforming youth with professionals across industries as their “mentors for the day.”
Writing Works mentors provide support with college essays, scholarships, internships, and professional writing across a broad range of industries from publishing and advertising to entertainment, finance, and beyond. Mentors model for youth how to be creative thinkers, clear communicators, and competitive candidates for the trails they choose to blaze.
Writing Works is comprised of a series of workshops and special opportunities throughout the program year. It is less intensive and just as dynamic as the year-long program, with the advantage that both mentors and mentees can sign up for individual events that fit their schedules.
TO QUALIFY AS A WRITING WORKS MENTOR, YOU ARE:
- Eager to share in our mission to empower the next generation of women writers!
- Equipped with a minimum of two years of post-undergrad, professional experience.
- At least 23 years old—applicants who are currently in college will not be accepted.
- Comfortable working with mentees who have a broad range of writing skills, backgrounds, and needs.
Writing Works mentors are a wide range of professionals who use writing in their careers, but are not required to be professional writers. Writing Works workshops are led by professional teaching artists who will orient and prepare mentors for their experience.
Just a few benefits of being a Writing Works Mentor:
- Work one-to-one or in small groups with New York City youth to help them jumpstart their college and career journeys.
- Support youth in brainstorming, drafting, and tell their own stories in a compelling way.
- Provide feedback on writing you will find familiar (e.g. college essays, resumes, cover letters, and the kind of writing you do in your job every day!)
- Share the twists and turns of your own personal and professional journeys—what works and what doesn’t!
- Have access to exclusive opportunities and one-of-a-kind performances and events.
- Be part of a devoted and caring community!
WRITING WORKS MENTOR PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS:
Note: All attendance requirements are in-person. However, if our headquarters remain closed due to COVID, we will continue our interactive virtual programming.
- Training and orientation in the Fall
- Four events throughout the year:
- At least one monthly weekday workshop from 4 – 6:30PM in the Fall and one in the Spring
- At least one Friday night salon in the Fall and one in the Spring
- Regular and timely communication on the online platform Slack
- Commitment to the Girls Write Now community and mission
- May 8: Applications launch
- June 8: Application deadline—applications accepted on a rolling basis
- June-August: Select Interviews on a rolling basis
- August-September: Acceptances announced
- October-November: Training and orientation activities
WANT MORE GIRLS WRITE NOW?