Girls Write Now is committed to serving more youth than ever before—which is why we’re widening our reach by EXTENDING our enrollment deadline for the Writing 360 Program to Tuesday, August 11!
For questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants will be contacted about next steps in August.
Life is better in twos. Form a one-to-one mentoring relationship with a young woman or gender non-conforming teen. Transform the fierce words in their journal into powerful poems, podcasts, horror fiction, TV scripts, songs, blogs, and more!
Join a dynamic community of professional women writers and media makers (novelists, poets, journalists, playwrights, copywriters, editors, bloggers, developers, filmmakers, educators, and others) on a mission: for more than 20 years, Girls Write Now’s award-winning programs have provided creative and academic guidance, support, and opportunities to help give voice to the next generation of writers.
To qualify as a Writing 360 Mentor, you are:
- Eager to share in our mission to empower the next generation of women writers!
- Equipped with a minimum of two years of post-undergrad, professional experience in writing, print, and/or digital media.
- At least 23 years old—applicants who are currently in college will not be accepted.
- Available to volunteer September—June.
- Residing or working in the NY Metropolitan area in order to attend in-person: weekly one-to-one mentoring sessions, monthly Saturday community workshops, and special events.
- Comfortable working with mentees who have a broad range of writing skills, backgrounds, and needs.
- Prepared to maintain clear and frequent communication with Girls Write Now’s staff and your mentee.
- In possession of a valid Social Security Number, and able to pass a thorough background check.
We welcome all candidates who identify as female or gender non-conforming. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, or citizenship.
Just a few benefits of being a Writing 360 Mentor
- Become an essential part of a young writer finding their voice.
- Explore various written and digital genres taught by experts.
- Training and ongoing guidance as you build your mentoring relationship.
- Frequent communication with compassionate and knowledgeable staff.
- An opportunity for friendship, networking, and support from a diverse, multi-generational community.
360 mentor program requirements:
Note: All attendance requirements are in-person. However, if our headquarters remain closed due to COVID, we will continue our interactive virtual programming.
- Training and orientation in September
- Monthly Saturday workshops
- Weekly one-to-one mentor/mentee pair sessions
- At least two Friday Night Salons
- At least three after-school Writing Works (college/career readiness) workshops on Wednesdays throughout the program year
- Guiding mentee in building multi-genre, multimedia portfolio
- Guiding mentee in submission and performance/exhibition of final work in spring series
- Guiding mentee in submission and publication of final work in Girls Write Now anthologies
- Regular and timely communication on the online platform Slack
- Commitment to the Girls Write Now mission and community
- May 8: Applications launch
- June 8: Application deadline—applications accepted on a rolling basis
- June 22: Extended application deadline
- June-August: Interviews on a rolling basis
- August-September: Acceptances announced
- September-October: Training and orientation activities
Want more Girls Write Now?
- The Girls Write Now Story
- Girls Write Now Performances
- Girls Write Now Publications
- Girls Write Now Youtube Channel
*Please note that in every instance the term “girl,” “woman,” and “female” is used here, we include anyone who self-identifies as such, including trans, cis, and gender non-conforming individuals.