Life is better in twos. Form a one-to-one mentoring relationship with a young woman or gender non-conforming teen. Transform the fierce words in their journal into powerful poems, podcasts, horror fiction, TV scripts, songs, blogs, and more!
Join a dynamic community of professional women writers and media makers (novelists, poets, journalists, playwrights, copywriters, editors, bloggers, developers, filmmakers, educators, and others) on a mission: for more than 20 years, Girls Write Now’s award-winning programs have provided creative and academic guidance, support, and opportunities to help give voice to the next generation of writers.
To qualify as a Writing 360 Mentor, you are:
- Eager to share in our mission to empower the next generation of women writers!
- Equipped with a minimum of two years of post-undergrad, professional experience in writing, print, and/or digital media.
- At least 23 years old—applicants who are currently in college will not be accepted.
- Available to volunteer September—June.
- Comfortable working with mentees who have a broad range of writing skills, backgrounds, and needs.
- Prepared to maintain clear and frequent communication with Girls Write Now’s staff and your mentee.
- In possession of a valid Social Security Number, and able to pass a thorough background check.
We welcome all candidates who identify as female or gender non-conforming. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, or citizenship.
Just a few benefits of being a Writing 360 Mentor
- Become an essential part of a young writer finding their voice.
- Explore various written and digital genres taught by experts.
- Training and ongoing guidance as you build your mentoring relationship.
- Frequent communication with compassionate and knowledgeable staff.
- An opportunity for friendship, networking, and support from a diverse, multi-generational community.
360 mentor program requirements:
Note: All attendance requirements are in-person. However, if our headquarters remain closed due to COVID, we will continue our interactive virtual programming.
- Attend a training and orientation
- Monthly Saturday workshops
- Weekly one-to-one mentor/mentee pair sessions
- Friday Night Salons
- Guiding mentee in building multi-genre, multimedia portfolio
- Guiding mentee in submission and performance/exhibition of final work in spring series
- Guiding mentee in submission and publication of final work in Girls Write Now anthologies
- Regular and timely communication on the online platform Slack
- Commitment to the Girls Write Now mission and community
- Late Spring: Applications launch
- Late Spring/early Summer: Application deadline—applications accepted on a rolling basis
- Mid-summer: Interviews on a rolling basis
- Late Summer/early Fall: Acceptances announced
- Early Fall: Training and orientation activities
Want more Girls Write Now?
- The Girls Write Now Story
- Girls Write Now Performances
- Girls Write Now Publications
- Girls Write Now Youtube Channel
*Please note that in every instance the term “girl,” “woman,” and “female” is used here, we include anyone who self-identifies as such, including trans, cis, and gender non-conforming individuals.