Writing Works is Girls Write Now’s college and career readiness program matching young women and gender non-conforming youth with professionals across industries.
Mentees get support with college essays, scholarships, internships, and professional writing across a broad range of industries, including networking and behind the scenes experiences with Penguin Random House, HBO/Warner, the Royal Bank of Canada, and Fresh beauty, and many more.
Writing Works is comprised of a series of workshops and special opportunities throughout the program year. It is less intensive and just as dynamic as the year-long program, with the advantage that both mentors and mentees can sign up for individual events that fit their schedules.
You could be a Writing Works mentee if you are:
- A young woman or gender nonconforming youth in high school, college, recent college graduate, or somewhere in between, including planned and unplanned gap years and leaves of absence.
What you’ll get as a Writing Works Mentee:
- Participate in individual workshops and special events in which you will learn from a wide range of professionals who use writing in their jobs every day.
- Brainstorm and draft your essay, cover letter, resume, and more with feedback from professionals.
- Get a behind-the-scenes look, and learn the kinds of writing needed, at companies across industries, from publishing to entertainment to finance, and more.
- Have access to exclusive opportunities, including internships, jobs, and one-of-a-kind performances and events.
- Be part of a devoted and caring community that wants to see you succeed and gives you the necessary tools to do so!
Writing Works mentee program requirements:
Note: All attendance requirements are in-person. However, if our headquarters remain closed due to COVID, we will continue our interactive virtual programming.
- Training and orientation in the Fall
- Weekday after-school workshops
- Friday night Salons
- Submit your work to an online portfolio
- Regular and timely communication on the online platform Slack
- Commitment to the Girls Write Now community and mission
- Late Spring: Applications launch
- Late Spring/early Summer: Application deadline—applications accepted on a rolling basis
- Mid-summer: Select interviews on a rolling basis
- Late Summer/early Fall: Acceptances announced
- Early Fall: Training and orientation activities
Want more Girls Write Now?