Join a dynamic, multi-generational community of writers and media makers, and form a one-to-one mentoring relationship with a professional writer. Transform the fierce words in your journal into powerful poems, podcasts, horror fiction, TV scripts, songs, blogs, and more—while getting all the support you need on your path to college and career.
You could be a Writing 360 mentee if you are:
- A New York City girl or gender non-conforming youth from any of the five boroughs
- In grade 9-12 at a public high school
- A native or non-native English speaker with proficient English writing & speaking skills
- Able to make a commitment to weekly in-person mentoring sessions, monthly Saturday workshops, and special events from September through June
- Passionate about writing and growing in any genre, including digital media storytelling
What you’ll get as a Writing 360 mentee:
- Form a one-to-one mentoring relationship with a woman or gender non-conforming professional with writing and media experience
- Participate in monthly writing workshops led by expert teaching artists in a range of genres, media, and writing-related industries
- Publicly showcase your original work at exhibitions or our popular reading series
- Publish your work in our award-winning print and multimedia anthologies
- Receive college and career support from the pros
- Apply for writing awards, publications, scholarships, internships, and more
- Devoted and caring community that wants to see you succeed and gives you the necessary tools to do so!
Writing 360 mentee program requirements:
Note: All attendance requirements are in-person. However, if our headquarters remain closed due to COVID, we will continue our interactive virtual programming.
- Training and orientation in early Fall
- Monthly Saturday workshops
- Weekly one-to-one mentor/mentee pair sessions
- Friday Night Salons
- After-school Writing Works (college/career readiness) workshops on Wednesdays throughout the program year
- A multi-genre, multimedia portfolio
- Submission and performance/exhibition of final work in spring series
- Submission and publication of final work in Girls Write Now anthologies
- Regular and timely communication on the online platform Slack
- Commitment to the Girls Write Now mission and community
We welcome all candidates who identify as female or gender non-conforming. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, or citizenship.
- Late Spring: Applications launch
- Late Spring/early Summer: Application deadline—applications accepted on a rolling basis
- Mid-summer: Interviews on a rolling basis
- Late Summer/early Fall: Acceptances announced
- Early Fall: Training and orientation activities
Want more Girls Write Now?
- The Girls Write Now Story
- Girls Write Now Performances
- Girls Write Now Publications
- Girls Write Now Youtube Channel