Do you care deeply about the future of storytelling and want to make sure it’s in good hands? We’re seeking a savvy media maker and publishing pro who is excited to grow the Girls Write Now brand and helm the next level of our mentoring programs. The Manager, Marketing & Digital Programs is a hybrid role that will shape the organization’s communications and be a key player in building an advanced Web Publishing Pilot track for the 2021-22 program year. The ideal candidate is a hands-on collaborator with top notch graphic design skills, a strong background in social and content strategy and experience with program development and teaching.
Girls Write Now’s new publishing platform will position the original art work of our youth front and center to further our mission of elevating diverse voices. The higher the platform for Girls Write Now voices, the more visibility for Girls Write Now as an organization to, in turn, invest new energy and resources into the community we serve. Therefore, the plan for advancing the work of our artists must be closely tied, and in some cases one and the same, as the organization’s brand management.
As we develop a new publishing platform to feature youth work, we also must equip our youth—the next generation of Girls Write Now’s writers and leaders—to own this site. We must train and engage them in more advanced audio and visual skills, as well as the process of editing, curating, and promoting their work—and this is where Girls Write Now’s new Web Publishing Pilot comes in. It will be comprised of a cohort of mentor-mentee pairs who have experience and/or strong interest in digital media and editorial.
The Manager, Marketing & Digital Programs will:
- Own strategy and manage execution for day-to-day communications across core platforms including website, social channels and eblasts
- Take the lead on brand design and copy direction for the organization—including the new website publishing platform
- Provide templates and quality control for internal programs assets—ensuring cohesive design and messaging
- Develop and project manage marketing campaigns for large initiatives and special events
- Play an integral role in editorial direction for Girls Write Now’s new website publishing platform, which may include managing an editorial calendar, packaging/assigning topical work, top editing select work and occasionally writing editorial pieces on behalf of the brand, but for the most part, no writing or editing of individual pieces.
- Work in partnership with the Website Operations Manager and Director of Curriculum & Engagement to design curriculum, hire teaching artists and be a lead of the Web Publishing Pilot.
Over the past two decades, Girls Write Now has earned the reputation of a nationally award-winning leader in arts education as the first writing and mentoring organization for girls and gender-expansive youth. Writing today means multi-genre, multimedia, multi-platform communication—everything from storytelling to coding. Girls Write Now provides services and training in all forms of writing for every stage of life, from high school to college, career and beyond, as our mentees are define the digital age. In tandem with our programming, Girls Write Now has created a cohesive and powerful brand, a committed following—both grassroots and global—and a vast collection of original multi-genre writing and multimedia artwork from writers of all ages. As an organization, Girls Write Now has helped break down the barriers of race and poverty to elevate the voices of youth who are too often not heard—or worse, silenced. It is now time for their art to drive the organization’s online presence, with a new generation of creative leaders at the helm. When our young writers share their stories, they have the power to change minds, heal communities and impact the world.
Announcing the development of a new multi-genre, multimedia publishing platform and media brand, fusing programming and publication, or process and product, to:
- Feature the work of emerging young artists front and center, fueled by a sophisticated database that will draw in the user in specific and unexpected ways while breaking down the artificial barrier between print and digital, creative and critical, and all of the other labels we rely on
- Engage the user in the experience of creating art through live workshops, salons, and events, as well as access to the raw curriculum
- Showcase the relationships (both mentor pairs and the larger community) behind the art, dispelling the myth of writing as a solitary act
- Be fully integrated with the curriculum—youth learn not just the skills of writing and art-making but the adjacent skills necessary to get work out into the world—editing, design, curation, marketing, branding and more. As a result, the Girls Write Now platform will be a thoroughly youth-driven site inside and out. The girls’ portfolios will be integrated seamlessly into site architecture, showcasing mentees’ own individual stories and collectively representing the story of their generation
- Directly demonstrate the connection between art and industry by not only building and utilizing marketable skills but by facilitating networking with the companies that hire for these skills. The site becomes a hub and marketplace for artists and industries to meet, a direct pipeline to diversify companies in need of new talent and points of view
Successful candidates for the Manager, Marketing & Digital Programs position are skilled graphic designers, writers, and editors. They are self-starters, analytical thinkers, outside-of-the-box problem solvers and clear communicators. They have well-developed project management and leadership skills, are comfortable working collaboratively and iteratively, pivoting when needed, and ultimately getting the job done. The Manager, Marketing & Digital Programs must have:
- A college or Masters degree
- A minimum of 5 years professional experience in an office setting
- A minimum of 5 years with design and/or editorial experience
- A strong and cohesive graphic design portfolio
- Track record of successfully managing projects, people and information
- Volunteer management experience preferred
- Savvy with databases and complex management systems
- Strong skills using all major design and web development applications/platforms, including but not limited to Canva, WordPress, and the Adobe Creative Suite
- Excitement to support Girls Write Now’s mission, and to grow in the role over time
This position is temporarily remote until the summer when we transition to in-person operations.
The Manager, Marketing & Digital Programs is an exempt employee position with competitive salaries and benefit packages. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
Please complete the application through the button below, which includes uploading your resume/CV, cover letter, design and editorial samples. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.
It is Girls Write Now’s policy to provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and to all applicants for employment regardless of their race, color, religion, national origin, disability (including victims of domestic violence), age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status or citizenship. This policy applies to all Girls Write Now activities including, but not limited to, recruitment, hiring, compensation, assignment, training, promotion or any other characteristic protected by law.