Girls Write Now remains committed to creating a space to think about, feel, and tackle these very complicated and important issues. One way we would like to do this is by reviving our Diversity Committee. As part of Girls Write Now’s longstanding commitment to racial justice, and our evolving list of action steps, resources, and recommended reads (see girlswritenow.org/
If you as a community member are interested in adding to this, editing, participating in, or helping to lead this committee, please Slack DM your Staff Pod Lead (or email firstname.lastname@example.org). We are asking you to write us directly so that we can collect information and put together a thoughtful plan to best engage the community. We also honor and respect your space right now. If you choose not to respond at this moment, we want you to know the door is always open.
Diversity Committee Purpose/Goals (Draft, June 2020):
- Facilitate and inspire discussion on racial justice issues within and around our community.
- Identify where and when Girls Write Now effectively confronts and helps move forward justice on race issues—and where do we need to do better.
- Advise on how racial justice can be better built into and expressed in the Girls Write Now program, from the mentoring experience to curriculum/workshops, performance, publication, college, career, to the mentor and mentee communities.
- Arrange or lead trainings on racial justice and race sensitivity.
- Partner with Girls Write Now staff, board, and fellow mentors and mentees to diversify the makeup of our community, meeting agreed upon benchmarks over time.
- Share and amplify the stories of our diverse community that can enlarge our understanding of ourselves, each other, and the world around us.