“From the first day we met, Brittany’s talent and courage lit up my life. Even now, a day doesn’t pass that I don’t think about her. Every time she logs on to her computer, mine gives a little Skype gurgle. We don’t know why, but I don’t want her to fix it.” — Josleen Wilson, mentor alum
Life is better in twos. Form a one-to-one mentoring relationship with a young woman* and transform the fierce words in her journal into powerful poems, podcasts, horror fiction, TV scripts, songs, blogs, and more!
Join a dynamic community of professional women writers and media makers (novelists, poets, journalists, playwrights, copywriters, editors, bloggers, developers, filmmakers, educators, and others) on a mission: for more than 20 years, Girls Write Now’s award-winning programs have provided creative and academic guidance, support, and opportunities to help give voice to the next generation of writers.
Girls Write Now currently seeks passionate, talented women writers and media makers to serve as volunteer mentors from September 2019 – June 2020.
To qualify as a Girls Write Now mentor, you are:
- Equipped with a minimum of two years of post-undergrad, professional experience in writing, print, and/or digital media. Applicants who are currently in college will not be accepted.
- Available to volunteer September 2019-June 2020.
- Residing or working in the NY Metropolitan area in order to attend in-person: weekly one-to-one mentoring sessions; monthly community workshops; and a minimum of two special events from September 2019-June 2020.
- Comfortable working with mentees who have a broad range of writing skills, backgrounds, and needs.
- Prepared to maintain clear and frequent communication with Girls Write Now’s staff and your mentee.
- In possession of a valid Social Security Number, and able to pass a thorough background check
- Eager to share in our mission to empower the next generation of women writers!
We welcome all candidates who identify as female or gender non-conforming. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, or citizenship.
Just a few benefits of being a Girls Write Now Mentor
- Become an essential part of a young girl finding her voice
- Training and ongoing guidance as you build your mentoring relationship
- Frequent communication with compassionate and knowledgeable staff and experienced volunteers
- An opportunity for friendship, networking, and support from a diverse, multi-generational community
Application Process for the 2019-20 Program Year: Deadline is June 1
- Application Deadline: June 17. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Early applications are strongly encouraged.
- Interviews: May-July 2019
- Acceptances Announced (contingent on reference checks): August 2019
- Orientation/Training (including background check): September-October 2019
- Program Year: September 2019-June 2020
Want more Girls Write Now?
- The Girls Write Now Story
- Girls Write Now Spring Series: CHAPTERS & QWERTY
- Girls Write Now Anthologies
*Please note that in every instance the term “girl,” “woman,” and “female” is used here, we include anyone who self-identifies as such, including trans, cis, and gender non-conforming individuals.
Please DO NOT fill out this application! Look out for the Returning Mentor Application. If you have any questions, email your Cohort Lead.