“From the first day we met, Brittany’s talent and courage lit up my life. Even now, a day doesn’t pass that I don’t think about her. Every time she logs on to her computer, mine gives a little Skype gurgle. We don’t know why, but I don’t want her to fix it.” — Josleen Wilson, mentor alum & College Bound advisor
Life is better in twos. Form a one-to-one mentoring relationship with a young woman* and transform the fierce words in her journal into powerful stories, poems, podcasts, plays, eBooks, blogs, and more.
Girls Write Now is a dynamic community of professional women writers and media makers on a mission: for 20 years, our award-winning programs have provided creative and academic guidance, support, and opportunities for the next generation of writers in New York City. We offer two mentoring programs that empower mentees and mentors to grow in their craft as storytellers: the Writing & Mentoring Program and the Digital Media Mentoring Program. Each is designed to provide mentees with the tools and support to critically develop their writing and media skills and explore new modes of creative expression.
The 2018-19 Writing & Mentoring Program will focus on the exploration of literary sub-genres within categories including poetry, fiction, memoir, journalism, and screenwriting/playwriting. This program is recommended for young women interested in developing a body of creative work across genres, and in building core writing skills for internships and college.
The 2018-19 Digital Media Mentoring Program will focus on the exploration of literary sub-genres within categories including poetry, fiction, memoir, journalism, and screenwriting/playwriting, with an emphasis on translating these storytelling techniques into diverse media, including video, sound, online networks, graphic design, and web design. This program is recommended for young women interested in developing a body of creative work in a range of media, and in building writing and digital skills for internships and college.
To qualify as a Girls Write Now mentor, you are:
- Equipped with at least two years of professional experience in writing, print, or digital media
- Ready to commit to in-person weekly one-to-one mentoring sessions, monthly writing workshops, and special events for a full school year (September to June)
- Prepared to maintain clear and frequent communication with Girls Write Now’s Program staff and your mentee
- Eager to share in our mission to empower the next generation of women writers and media professionals
- In possession of a valid Social Security Number, and able to pass a thorough background check
As a mentor, you can expect:
- To become an essential part of a young girl finding her voice
- Training and ongoing guidance as you build your mentoring relationship
- Frequent communication with compassionate and knowledgeable staff and experienced volunteers
- An opportunity to grow with and contribute to a dynamic community
Applications are now closed! Each year, applications typically open on April 1. We hope to hear from you then!
Want more Girls Write Now?
*Please note that in every instance the term “girl,” “woman,” and “female” is used here, we include anyone who self-identifies as such, including trans, cis, and gender non-conforming individuals.