“When I was 14 years old, I wrote, but I never called myself a writer until Girls Write Now told me I was. And then I couldn’t wait to call myself a writer again.” — Brittany Barker, mentee alum
Life is better in twos. Form a one-to-one mentoring relationship with a professional woman* writer or media maker to transform the fierce words in your journal into powerful poems, podcasts, horror fiction, TV scripts, songs, blogs, and more!
Join a multigenerational community of teen girls and professional women writers and media makers (novelists, poets, journalists, playwrights, copywriters, editors, bloggers, developers, filmmakers, educators, and more!).
You could be a Girls Write Now mentee if you are:
- A New York City girl from any of the five boroughs
- In grade 9-12 for the 2019-20 school year at a public high school
- A native or non-native English speaker with proficient English writing & speaking skills
- Able to make a commitment to weekly in-person mentoring sessions, monthly Saturday workshops, and special events from September 2019 through June 2020
- Passionate about writing and growing in any genre, including digital media storytelling
As a mentee, you’ll get to:
- Form a one-to-one mentoring relationship with a professional woman with writing and media experience
- Attend monthly writing workshops that feature guest authors in a range of genres, media, and writing-related industries
- Publicly showcase your original work at exhibitions or our popular reading series
- Publish your work in our award-winning print and multimedia anthologies
- Receive college and career support from the pros
- Apply for writing awards, publications, scholarships, internships, and more!
- Application Deadline: June 17. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Early applications are strongly encouraged.
- Interviews: May-July 2019
- Acceptances Announced: August 2019
- Orientation: September-October 2019
- Program Year: September 2019-June 2020
Want more Girls Write Now?
- Learn about Girls Write Now’s Career Day: Saturday, June 22, 11:00 AM – 2:30 PM
- The Girls Write Now Story
- Girls Write Now Spring Series: CHAPTERS & QWERTY
- Girls Write Now Anthologies
*Please note that in every instance the term “girl,” “woman,” and “female” is used here, we include anyone who self-identifies as such, including trans, cis, and gender non-conforming individuals.