The College Bound Panel is comprised of teaching artists, financial aid experts, admissions officers, freshmen advisors, high school guidance counselors, and mentor alum who help our girls navigate the college application process, secure financial aid and/or scholarships, explore the school selection process, and prepare them to thrive in college.
College Bound Panelists are asked to commit for a minimum of one academic school year.
- Scheduled events include essay-writing workshops in June/July and a college fair-style event in November.
- Panelists in the advisor role provide support for a small group of senior mentees on an ongoing basis, and begin meeting with their group during the summer before their senior year. Throughout the year, advisors reach out via phone, email, and/or in-person meet-ups to share resources, answer questions, and support their group.
- Panelists in the expert role have significant familiarity with one or more aspects of the college application and financial aid/scholarship application processes. Experts are not assigned a group of mentees, but instead are a resource for GWN staff and Advisors when they encounter particularly difficult or specific challenges relating to college prep. Experts may also be asked for support designing workshops and other College Bound programming.
Volunteers who make a great fit for the College Bound Panel will have the following experience and skills:
- Expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- The college application process
- Writing and editing personal statements
- College admissions processes
- Financial aid processes
- Scholarship research and applications
- College matching
- Strong research skills and willingness to devote time and attention to student questions and challenges as they arise.
- Familiarity with or willingness to do research around admissions policies for SUNY and CUNY schools and other private and public universities across the country.
- Experience teaching, mentoring, or counseling teens.
- Good communication skills and willingness to follow up with teens over phone and email as needed.
- A passion to see young women, and particularly young women from underrepresented communities, get into college and thrive there.
If you are interested in joining the College Bound Panel for the 2016-17 program year, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.