Your support directly raises awareness and funds for an organization you love and believe in. It’s only with your help that we are able to do this work and support the next generation of writers and leaders as they discover their voices, speak up and out about issues they care about, and write the future.
Change lives with a tax-deductible gift that goes straight to supporting the girls in this year’s programs—while earning the right to say: “I’ve made a donation and I hope you will, too.”
10 WAYS YOU CAN SUPPORT GIRLS WRITE NOW
Give Write Now on our website or by sending a check to:
Girls Write Now
247 West 37th Street, Suite 1000
New York, NY 10018
Thank you for your tax-deductible gift!
2. Spread the word on social media
Feel free to use these sample posts to spread the word about Girls Write Now:
- I’m a proud mentor/mentee/board member/etc. at Girls Write Now! Support the next generation of women writers! Donate today. girlswritenow.org/givewritenow
- Dear friends and family, in lieu of a holiday gift, please donate (any amount) to a cause close to my heart, Girls Write Now. girlswritenow.org/givewritenow
Easy-to-share photos, videos, and stories of hope:
- This holiday, inspire hope by supporting the dreams of the next Kaya, Hannah, or Easmin!
- Writing works! A mentee alum’s career success story…
- Meet the mentor-mentee pairs your donation directly supports.
- Toni Morrison’s message to us: Write the book you want to read…
- Giving Tuesday + Girls Write Now = Your Dollar Doubled!
- Why we are thankful: our girls have a voice! Here’s an update…
- The 2019 Girls Write Now Holiday Gift Guide
- Advice from our champions to the next generation!
- “Together We Will Face the World”: Hope from Girls Write Now…
- Girls Write Now Lights Up Times Square!
- Broad City’s Ilana Glazer and Abbi Jacobson on why writers deserve your support
- The Girls Write Now Story!
- Downloadable Photos
3. Set up your own fundraiser
Set up a Facebook fundraiser:
Set up a peer-to-peer fundraiser:
4. Get your workplace to support Girls Write Now
Some companies will help support their employees’ causes through matching donations. Others have Corporate Social Responsibility programs. Your company may be interested in building a partnership around employee engagement, internship placements, diversity inclusion, and more. Check in with your boss about your company’s goals and policies, explain why you love Girls Write Now, and see if they would be willing to support. For questions and support, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Girls Write Now Circle is a select group of multigenerational leaders—authors, editors, publishers, media makers, and change-agents—committed to amplifying diverse voices, and shaping the future of women writers across industries. Gather with like-minded champions and gain access to signature events that are making a difference, such as panels on diversity in publishing, private salons with literary luminaries, lunch & learns, and celebrations like our recent Agents of Change Awards, hosted by Diane von Furstenberg.
6. Host a letter writing party
One of the best ways to support our appeal is to write your own appeal letters! Get your friends together, pick a date, and start writing. Gather your best note cards and have a few books of stamps ready. Or, simply make it a digital writing party and have attendees email their networks. Be sure to add the donate link to your emails, www.girlswritenow.org/givewritenow.
Add some wine, cheese, sweet or salty snacks and of course your passion for Girls Write Now and you’ve got a successful party!
- Dear Aunt Sarah, I’m raising money for a terrific organization that helps young women writers. Please consider a contribution to the cause.
- Dear Mom,
You know I’ve been supporting Girls Write Now. This organization equips girls with the tools and confidence they need to share their stories and succeed in college, career, and life. This cause is a top priority for me, and I hope you will support it. In lieu of a holiday gift, make my day with a donation to Girls Write Now. I’m personally trying to raise $1,000 through friends and family like you. Please help me reach my goal!
You can email development for questions about hosting a letter writing party of your own.
Download our 2019 Holiday Appeal letter below and send it to family, friends and colleagues. Snail mail is always an option, or you can share the appeal letter over email as an attachment.
Every year, we publish an anthology of original work by our mentees. This year, we published CTRL+B, our 2019 Anthology, featuring a foreword by Phoebe Robinson and an introduction by Tomi Adeyemi. Support Girls Write Now by buying your own copy, or gifting it out this holiday season!
“When I name myself, I become myself. In these pages, girls name themselves, their worlds, their wishes, their pain and their heart’s finest joys. Right here, girls become their true selves,” says Min Jin Lee, author of Free Food for Millionaires and Pachinko, a National Book Award Finalist, of CTRL+B.
In honor of Girls Write Now’s 20th anniversary last year, we partnered with Tin House Books to publish Girls Write Now: Two Decades of True Stories from Young Female Voices. The anthology features work from mentees across the past twenty years and celebrates growing up, speaking up, and discovering your voice.
Girls Write Now was described by Publisher’s Weekly as “a candid compilation of resilience, hope, and the power of writing” and by Book Riot as “inspiring and informative… [a book] that belongs in every school, library, and home”.
10. Instead of holiday gifts, ask for a donation
We all end up with things we don’t need over the holidays. This year, instead of asking for another item of clothing or electronic gadget, support diverse young women writers by asking for a donation to Girls Write Now.
Bonus! Simply drink coffee.
We knew we had you at just “drink coffee”, and what that means is that a simple act of meeting a friend for coffee can lead to great support for Girls Write Now. Maybe your friend wants to be a mentor, or works at a company that is interested in a corporate social responsibility partnership—these are two examples of real moments that have happened in our community that led to helping the organization. Reach out to your friends, pick your favorite cafe, and be prepared to talk about your love of Girls Write Now—it’s as simple as that!