WORD BY WORD: YOUR DO WRITE NOW LIST
YOUR LAST REQUIREMENT! YEAR-END SURVEYS DUE MONDAY, JULY 15
What an amazing Career Day we had! (See more photos & videos here!) And what an amazing program year we’ve had with you! You should all be very proud of the work you’ve done! Your year-end surveys are the last requirement for the 2018-19 year. Please make sure to submit by Monday, June 15. This evaluation information is crucial for the success of GWN’s programming and we value your input.
- WMP mentees:
Survey #1: Mentee Year-End
Survey #2: WMP-Only Survey
- DMP mentees:
Survey #1: Mentee Year-End
Survey #2: DMP-Only Survey
- All mentors:
Survey #1: Spring Pair Summary
Survey #2 Mentor Year-End Survey
SUBMIT FINAL PORTFOLIO PIECES: DEADLINE June 1.
It is a requirement to graduate from the GWN program to have all 6 of your portfolio pieces uploaded and tagged correctly by June 1. Reach out to your cohort lead if you have any questions! If you missed this deadline, reach out to your cohort lead asap!
- Find everything you need to know about portfolio requirements here!
RETURNING MENTOR & MENTEE APPLICATIONS
Here are the Returning Mentor & Returning Mentee Applications. Please complete by June 17. It’s a short form to be completed in one sitting! Please note that we will have a separate year-end survey for all mentors and mentees to complete—but the year hasn’t ended yet! We still have June CHAPTERS and Career Day! Look out for more year-end info soon, and again please complete your Returning Application by the 17th.
OTHER FUN STUFF!
- Submit your poetry! Mentee alum Natalia Vargas-Caba is guest editing poetry for Breadcrumbs Magazine and they’re looking for submissions until 8/15.
- GWN Portfolios: Everything You Need to Know! Guidelines, Requirements & 5 Easy Steps to Post Your Pieces
- GWN Mentor Guide 2019
- GWN Program Handbook 2019
- Teen Health Resources – 2019
- Suggested Pair Outings – 2019
- Mentor Bios
- Scholarship Resources
- WMP Music PACKET—AM/PM
- DMP Music PACKET—AM / PM
- WMP Fashion & Memoir PACKET—AM
- WMP Fashion & Memoir PACKET—PM
- DMP Fashion (Memoir) Packet AM / PM
- WMP Entertainment & Scriptwriting Packet – AM PM
- DMP Entertainment & Scriptwriting Packet – AM / PM
- DMP Suspense (Fiction) Workshop Packet – AM PM
- WMP Suspense (Fiction) Workshop Packet – AM PM
- DMP Podcast (Persuasive Writing) Workshop Packet – AM/PM
- WMP Letter Writing (Persuasive Writing) Packet – AM / PM
- DMP Graphic Design (Poetry) Workshop Packet – AM PM
- WMP Ode (Poetry) Workshop Packet – AM PM
- Mid-Year Mentee (Assertiveness & Communication) AM/PM
- Mid-Year Mentor (Communication) AM/PM
- Writing Works Scholarship Writing Workshop Packet
- Writing Works College Essay Workshop Packet
- Writing Works Internship Workshop Packet
- Full-tuition leadership scholarships from the Posse Foundation!
The Posse Foundation identifies, recruits and trains individuals with extraordinary leadership potential. Posse Scholars receive full-tuition leadership scholarships from Posse’s partner colleges and universities. The key to a promising future for our nation rests on the ability of strong leaders from diverse backgrounds to develop consensus solutions to complex social problems. Posse’s primary aim is to train these leaders of tomorrow. If you’re interested in being nominated or recommending a nomination, let your cohort lead know!
- Discover Swarthmore is an all-expenses-paid visit to Swarthmore College!
Swarthmore is one of the best liberal arts and engineering colleges in the country. Prospective students get a taste of the college experience, including the opportunity to meet current students, learn from faculty members, eat in our dining hall, and spend a few nights in our residence halls with student hosts. If you’re interested in being nominated or recommending a nomination, let your cohort lead know!
- If have an idea for a mobile game, Google Play wants to see it: DEADLINE June 7
Change The Game is Google Play’s initiative to build a diverse future in mobile gaming. To empower the next generation of game makers, we invite teens to tap into their imagination and share their own game idea to the Change The Game Design Challenge.Winners will have their game ideas built and launched on Google Play, receive scholarship money and more.
- The WIT—Whatever It Takes is currently interviewing for 2019-2020 cohorts!
The WIT program is the only 6 unit college credit social entrepreneur and leadership program in the country. WIT Teens design and launch, manage and measure, social enterprises that make an impact locally and nationally. Through the program they connect with CEOs, entrepreneurs, community leaders, and government officials, who offer mentorship support, and business advice. Upon completion teens earn 6 units of UCSD credit. WIT is currently interviewing for 2019-2020 cohorts staring in September at Google NQ in Chelsea. Cohorts meet twice a month after school between 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm. Learn more doingwit.org.
- The Miseducation podcast is looking for NYC student voices!
The Miseducation podcast provides high school student interns the chance to report on the inequities they see in their schools. With guidance from editor and journalists from The Hechinger Report, students gain multimedia skills while adding valuable voices to the education conversation. Get involved here.
- Camp Counselor at Fiver Children’s Foundation Program (PAID)
Fiver is seeking camp counselors for our residential summer camp that serves 450 children ages 8 to 16 from some of the New York area’s most underserved communities. Counselors are responsible for providing supervision, guidance, support and leadership to the campers in his/her cabin. As the camper’s primary caregiver during their two-week stay, counselors must be attentive to the camper’s physical, emotional and social needs. Send cover letter & resume to email@example.com.
- The Write to Lead Internship: Application DEADLINE June 30
The Write to Lead Internship is a 10-month paid internship for high school girls in Northern New Jersey and New York City. Write to Lead interns become published authors and design and co-lead programs for our Girls Club. Plus, you can earn $1,000 and 40 volunteer hours over the course of the internship Gain work experience and develop your leadership skills. Apply now!
- 2019 Quarter Zone Program
Quarter Zero Program offers two entrepreneurship experiences for high school students. QØ Startup Camp is a 5-day crash course on entrepreneurship. Catapult Incubator a 6-week deep dive into startup culture, mindset, and tools. Work on a real startup with entrepreneurs and professional advisors in this full immersion program that takes you through the most innovative cities in tech. Learn more about there program here.
- $5000 Scholarship Opportunity for Girls Write Now Seniors
To apply for the $5,000 Siler & Ingber Opioid Awareness Scholarship applicants must write an essay describing how the opioid epidemic has made an impact on their lives and how they plan to use their education to fight the epidemic. The scholarship serves two important purposes: 1) to raise awareness of the opioid epidemic and inspire others to make a difference, and 2) to empower those who have been impacted to produce real change in the world. Apply now!
- Be Published—iGeneration Youth Mag Pitch Call for Teen Journalists
Do you have an interesting idea and brilliant story to share? iGeneration Youth Magazine is calling teen journalists to pitch story ideas at https://teens.igenerationyouth.com/make-a-pitch.