Be a mentor
“From the first day we met, Brittany’s talent and courage lit up my life. Even now, a day doesn’t pass that I don’t think about her. Every time she logs on to her computer, mine gives a little Skype gurgle. We don’t know why, but I don’t want her to fix it.” — Josleen Wilson, mentor
Life is better in twos. Form a one-to-one mentoring relationship with a teen writer and transform the fierce words in her journal into powerful stories, poems, podcasts, plays, eBooks, blogs, and more.
Girls Write Now is a dynamic community of women writers on a mission: for 16 years, our award-winning programs have provided creative and academic guidance, support, and opportunities for the next generation of writers in NYC. We offer two distinct mentoring programs: the Writing and Mentoring Program and the Digital Media Mentoring Program. Each is designed to provide mentees with the tools and support to critically develop their writing skills and explore new modes of creative expression.
The Digital Media Mentoring Program operates in partnership with Parsons The New School for Design. If you are a graduate student at the New School, we offer opportunities for school accreditation through internship or class credit, as well as paid facilitator positions. You may apply for these opportunities through the New School.
Deadline to Apply: June 1*
*Please note that we will continue to accept applications after the deadline. We give priority to applicants who submit before June 1.
- Equipped with at least two years of professional writing experience in print or digital media
- Dedicated to guiding the artistic, academic, and professional aspirations of young women
- Ready to commit in-person to weekly one-to-one mentoring sessions, monthly writing workshops, special events, and participation on one committee from September 2014 to June 2015
- Prepared to maintain clear and frequent communication with Girls Write Now’s leadership and your mentee
- Eager to share in our mission to empower the next generation of women writers and media professionals
As a mentor, you can expect:
- Training and ongoing guidance as you build your mentoring relationship
- Frequent communication with compassionate and knowledgeable staff and experienced volunteers
- To become an essential part of a teen writer’s life
- The time and space to experiment with new genres and add to your own body of writing
- An opportunity to grow with and contribute to a dynamic community
Help us spread the word! Download a flyer here.