“From the first day we met, Brittany’s talent and courage lit up my life. Even now, a day doesn’t pass that I don’t think about her. Every time she logs on to her computer, mine gives a little Skype gurgle. We don’t know why, but I don’t want her to fix it.” — Josleen Wilson, mentor
Life is better in twos. Form a one-to-one mentoring relationship with a teen writer and transform the fierce words in her journal into powerful stories, poems, podcasts, plays, eBooks, blogs, and more.
Girls Write Now is a dynamic community of women writers on a mission: for 17 years, our award-winning programs have provided creative and academic guidance, support, and opportunities for the next generation of writers in NYC. We offer two distinct mentoring programs: the Writing & Mentoring Program and the Digital Media Mentoring Program. Each is designed to provide mentees with the tools and support to critically develop their writing skills and explore new modes of creative expression.
To qualify as a Girls Write Now mentor, you are:
- Equipped with at least two years of professional writing experience in print or digital media
- Ready to commit to in-person weekly one-to-one mentoring sessions, monthly writing workshops, and special events for a full school year (September to June)
- Prepared to maintain clear and frequent communication with Girls Write Now’s leadership and your mentee
- In possession of a valid Social Security Number, and able to pass a thorough background check
- Eager to share in our mission to empower the next generation of women writers and media professionals
As a mentor, you can expect:
- Training and ongoing guidance as you build your mentoring relationship
- Frequent communication with compassionate and knowledgeable staff and experienced volunteers
- To become an essential part of a teen writer’s growth
- The time and space to experiment with new genres and add to your own body of writing
- An opportunity to grow with and contribute to a dynamic community
We are no longer accepting mentor applications for the 2015 – 2016 program year.
If you would like to apply for the September 2016 – June 2017 program year, please sign up for our mailing list; in addition to community news and event alerts, you’ll receive a notification when our application re-opens in April 2016.
If you would like to get involved in the meantime, you can apply to be on our Therapy Panel, College Prep Panel, or if you are a New School graduate student in the Design and Technology program at Parsons, apply to be a (paid) Digital Media Mentoring Program Facilitator.