We are currently reviewing mentor and mentee applications for the 2019-20 program year.
Candidates, you will hear back from us about next steps soon.
Life is better in twos. Form a one-to-one mentoring relationship with a young woman* and transform the fierce words in her journal into powerful poems, podcasts, horror fiction, TV scripts, songs, blogs, and more!
Join a dynamic community of professional women writers and media makers (novelists, poets, journalists, playwrights, copywriters, editors, bloggers, developers, filmmakers, educators, and others) on a mission: for more than 20 years, Girls Write Now’s award-winning programs have provided creative and academic guidance, support, and opportunities to help give voice to the next generation of writers.
To qualify as a Girls Write Now mentor, you are:
- Equipped with a minimum of two years of post-undergrad, professional experience in writing, print, and/or digital media. Applicants who are currently in college will not be accepted.
- Available to volunteer September 2019-June 2020.
- Residing or working in the NY Metropolitan area in order to attend in-person: weekly one-to-one mentoring sessions; monthly community workshops; and a minimum of two special events from September 2019-June 2020.
- Comfortable working with mentees who have a broad range of writing skills, backgrounds, and needs.
- Prepared to maintain clear and frequent communication with Girls Write Now’s staff and your mentee.
- In possession of a valid Social Security Number, and able to pass a thorough background check
- Eager to share in our mission to empower the next generation of women writers!
We welcome all candidates who identify as female or gender non-conforming. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, or citizenship.
Just a few benefits of being a Girls Write Now Mentor
- Become an essential part of a young girl finding her voice
- Training and ongoing guidance as you build your mentoring relationship
- Frequent communication with compassionate and knowledgeable staff and experienced volunteers
- An opportunity for friendship, networking, and support from a diverse, multi-generational community
Application Process for the 2019-20 Program Year:
- Interviews: August 2019
- Acceptances Announced (contingent on reference checks): August 2019
- Orientation/Training (including background check): September-October 2019
- Program Year: September 2019-June 2020
Want more Girls Write Now?
- The Girls Write Now Story
- Girls Write Now Spring Series: CHAPTERS & QWERTY
- Girls Write Now Anthologies
*Please note that in every instance the term “girl,” “woman,” and “female” is used here, we include anyone who self-identifies as such, including trans, cis, and gender non-conforming individuals.
Please DO NOT fill out this application! Look out for the Returning Mentor Application. If you have any questions, email your Cohort Lead.