“From the first day we met, Brittany’s talent and courage lit up my life. Even now, a day doesn’t pass that I don’t think about her. Every time she logs on to her computer, mine gives a little Skype gurgle. We don’t know why, but I don’t want her to fix it.” — Josleen Wilson, mentor
Life is better in twos. Form a one-to-one mentoring relationship with a young woman and transform the fierce words in her journal into powerful stories, poems, podcasts, plays, eBooks, blogs, and more.
Girls Write Now is a dynamic community of women writers and media makers on a mission: for 18 years, our award-winning programs have provided creative and academic guidance, support, and opportunities for the next generation of writers in NYC. We offer two distinct mentoring programs: the Writing & Mentoring Program and the Digital Media Mentoring Program. Each is designed to provide mentees with the tools and support to critically develop their writing skills and explore new modes of creative expression.
The 2016-17 Writing & Mentoring Program will focus on the exploration of literary sub-genres within categories including poetry, fiction, memoir, journalism, and screenwriting/playwriting. This program is recommended for young women interested in developing a body of creative work across genres, and in building core writing skills for internships and college.
The 2016-17 Digital Media Mentoring Program will focus on the exploration of literary work in diverse media, including video, sound, animation, social and online networks, and creative coding. This program is recommended for young women interested in developing a body of creative work in a range of media, and in building writing and digital skills for internships and college.
To qualify as a Girls Write Now mentor, you are:
- Equipped with at least two years of professional experience in writing, print, or digital media
- Ready to commit to in-person weekly one-to-one mentoring sessions, monthly writing workshops, and special events for a full school year (September to June)
- Prepared to maintain clear and frequent communication with Girls Write Now’s Program staff and your mentee
- Eager to share in our mission to empower the next generation of women writers and media professionals
- In possession of a valid Social Security Number, and able to pass a thorough background check
As a mentor, you can expect:
- To become an essential part of a young girl finding her voice
- Training and ongoing guidance as you build your mentoring relationship
- Frequent communication with compassionate and knowledgeable staff and experienced volunteers
- An opportunity to grow with and contribute to a dynamic community
Applications have closed for the September 2016 – June 2017 program year. If you are interested in being a mentor for the 2017-2018 program year, please fill out our mentor inquiry form. Please note that our application does not open until early April 2017 and we will be in touch in early spring!