“When I was 14 years old, I wrote, but I never called myself a writer until Girls Write Now told me I was. And then I couldn’t wait to call myself a writer again.” — Brittany Barker, mentee alum
Life is better in twos. Form a one-to-one mentoring relationship with a professional woman* writer or media maker to transform the fierce words in your journal into powerful stories, poems, podcasts, plays, eBooks, blogs, and more.
Girls Write Now offers two mentoring programs that empower mentees and mentors to grow in their craft as storytellers: the Writing & Mentoring Program and the Digital Media Mentoring Program. Each is designed to provide mentees with the tools and support to build upon their writing and media skills and explore new creative techniques.
The 2017-18 Writing & Mentoring Program will focus on the exploration of literary sub-genres within categories including poetry, fiction, memoir, journalism, and screenwriting/playwriting. This program is recommended for young women interested in developing a body of creative work across genres, and in building core writing skills for internships and college.
The 2017-18 Digital Media Mentoring Program will focus on the exploration of literary sub-genres within categories including poetry, fiction, memoir, journalism, and screenwriting/playwriting, with an emphasis on translating these storytelling techniques into diverse media, including video, sound, online networks, graphic design, and web design. This program is recommended for young women interested in developing a body of creative work in a range of media, and in building writing and digital skills for internships and college.
You could be a Girls Write Now mentee if you are:
- A New York City girl from any of the five boroughs
- In grade 9-12 for the 2017-18 school year at a public high school
- A native or non-native English speaker with proficient English writing & speaking skills
- Able to make a commitment to weekly in-person mentoring sessions, monthly Saturday workshops, and special events from September 2017 through June 2018
- Passionate about writing and growing in any genre, including digital media storytelling
As a mentee, you’ll get to:
- Form a one-to-one mentoring relationship with a professional woman with writing and media experience
- Attend monthly, half-day writing workshops that feature guest authors or skill-sharers from media experts
- Receive college prep support
- Publicly showcase work at exhibitions or our annual public reading series
- Publish work in our annual, award-winning anthology or digital publication
The application to be a mentee in the 2017-18 program year is now closed.Interested in being a mentee with Girls Write Now next year? Fill out this form and we will notify you when applications for the 2018-19 program year are online.
Want more Girls Write Now?
- Register for our College Bound workshops, open to all NYC high school girls, for advice from the experts about writing a powerful college essay. Email email@example.com with any questions!
*Please note that in every instance the term “girl,” “woman,” and “female” is used here, we include anyone who self-identifies as such, including trans, cis, and gender non-conforming individuals.